18 May Chef’s Kitchen: El Meson’s Surfer Potato
KISSIMMEE — This week’s Chef’s Kitchen is taking us to the drive-thru.
El Meson Sandwiches — known in Puerto Rico — is now in Central Florida.
“This is very famous in Puerto Rico,” said Kissimmee General Manager, Francisco Ortiz, referring to the restaurant chain’s potato.
Called the “Surfer Potato,” it’s packed with with meat-like goodness, yet it’s vegetarian.
“When originally (El Meson) started in Aguadilla (Puerto Rico),” he explained, “a lot of surfers used to ask for vegetarian food.”
The real kicker is the soy salami. That and the cheddar and Swiss along with a plethora of veggies, and this big boy may require you to grab some extra forks.
Surfer Baked Potato — Meson Original!
- Soy Salami
- Swiss Cheese
- Melted Cheddar Cheese
- Baked Potato
- Russian Sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake potato for about 45 minutes
- Remove from oven, cut a zig-zag in the top and squeeze the potato by the ends to open up
- Pour melted cheddar cheese over potato
- Sauté vegetables and soy salami together, stirring often
- Drizzle with Russian sauce
- Add Swiss cheese over the veggie/soy salami combination
- Serve over the baked potato
By Allison Walker Torres, Entertainment Reporter/Anchor
Last Updated: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 8:46 AM EDT